Friday, April 24, 2009

Stonemountain and Daughter

This past February I took an intro to sewing class. Ive always considered myself to be somewhat of a quick learner, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to sew. I had my mothers old machine, and I had this fear of breaking it. Even after my friend came over to teach me to use it, I used it that day, but forgot soon after. I started hand stitching fabric on my wunzees, but really wanted to figure out how to machine sew too..for more options.

The problem got worse when Mick bought me a higher end sewing machine for the holidays...now i really needed to learn.

Enter Stonemountain and Daughter. If you are in the Bay Area, I highly recommend it. I took a $30 intro to sewing class, and left with a pillow. They didn't give me the pillow...i made it! Nicole was great and thorough and a great teacher. I am confident now that I can actually continue sewing, and wont forget how to thread the machine. They have a great course list, so you can leave with a tote, skirt, etc.

This place will be a frequent stop for me...i can feel it. In fact, when I left the class, I got a coupon for discount fabrics, and I haven't even used it yet! Nor have I truly used the skills that I learned. I get so wrapped up in the wunzees, that I forget I have a great machine sitting in the the other room!

I don't know what is keeping me from getting started. I got some cute fabric, bought my self-healing mats, and have scissors (though I could use a better pair). I think I'm afraid of not succeeding...but I guess I'll never know till I try. I'll keep you posted as to my progress. I bought a PDF off of etsy with a pattern for a baby blanket. I think that is where I'll start. I also bought vintage t-shirts off of eBay, and plan on turning them into tote bags....maybe I'll start there. I think that the FIRST place to start is by getting off the couch, and stepping away from the wunzees for a bit. (Or at least one evening)

No comments:

Post a Comment